If I am a TANF recipient, will I receive any child support money during my time on assistance?

You assign your current support to the state while you are on TANF. Except for the child support pass-through, which will end April 30, 2011, the Department of Social and Health Services keeps the child support it collects while your family receives TANF. If DCS collects current support in an amount that exceeds the amount of your TANF grant for two months in a row, WAC 388-422-0030 provides that your cash benefit stops at the end of the third month. The state can only keep support collections up to the total amount of TANF funds your family receives, as provided in WAC 388-14A-2035.

Important Notice To Custodial Parents Receiving Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF):

Between October 1, 2008, and April 30, 2011, federal and state law allowed the Division of Child Support (DCS) to send a portion of child support collections to a custodian of minor children while the custodian received a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant. This amount of child support paid to custodians who received TANF during this period was called a child support pass-through payment. Effective May 1, 2011, Washington State law suspends pass-through payments. DCS must stop sending pass-through child support payments to custodial parents receiving TANF for any collections received by DCS on or after May 1, 2011.

If you have questions, or you would like additional information about the suspension of child support pass-through payments, please refer to the following Frequently Asked Questions, or call the KIDS general information line at 1-800-442-KIDS (800-442-5437).