Can the other party to the support order get my address?

Either party to a child support order can ask DCS to release the address of the other party. This request must be in writing and must be for a reason specified by law. DCS has a form which a party can use to ask for the address.

If DCS records have information that makes them believe release of the address may be harmful for the parent whose address is requested, DCS will deny the request, and notify that parent.

If DCS records do not have information that would make them deny the request, DCS handles the request based on the status of the person whose address is requested.

  • When the noncustodial parent asks for the address of the custodial parent, DCS sends a notice to the custodial parent about the request. The custodial parent has 30 days to:
    • Allow release of the address,
    • Ask for an administrative hearing on the issue of disclosure, 
    • Give DCS a court order stopping DCS from releasing the address.

      Sometimes the evidence given with the hearing request allows DCS to deny the request for disclosure.

      If DCS does not get a response from the custodial parent, they release the address after the 30 days expires.This is a very good reason to read all your mail from DCS or DSHS.

  • When the custodial parent asks for the noncustodial parent's address, DCS releases the address without notice to the noncustodial parent unless the noncustodial parent previously asked DCS to send them a notice before releasing their address information.
    • If the noncustodial parent told DCS they have concerns about releasing their address information, DCS follows the same notice procedure it does for a request for the custodial parent's address.

For information on the Secretary of State's Address Confidentiality Program and to see if that program can help you, talk to your domestic violence advocate.