Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) Program

Revised October 23, 2014

WAC 388-444-0015 How can the Basic Food Employment and Training (BF E&T) program help me find work?


Clarifying Information - WAC 388-444-0015

What is BFET?

Basic Food Employment & Training (BFET) provides training and education with a goal of assisting Basic Food clients to attaining a living wage career.  BFET services are available from all WA State community and technical colleges as well as many non-college community based organization (CBO) contractors. You can find more information such as the type of services and benefits on the public website.

Who can receive BFET services?

Most clients who receive federally funded Basic Food (SNAP) and are at least 16 years old can receive BFET services. Even clients with college education may benefit from retraining or job search services.

How can BFET help pay for college?

BFET students should utilize other forms of funding for tuition whenever possible. Typically all students who attempt to enroll into BFET will be asked by the college to apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of the enrollment process for BFET.

Who can't receive BFET services? 

Clients who receive receiving TANF or the State Food Assistance Program (FAP) are not eligible to receive BFET. Also, clients who want to complete a Transfer degree or a degree higher than an Associates degree should not be referred to BFET.

Do clients have to participate in BFET?

No.  To focus resources on the most motivated individuals, BFET is completely voluntary.  Services are available for exempt and non-exempt clients eligible for federal SNAP benefits living in Washington.

How does a student become eligible for Basic Food through BFET?

If a client appears to be an ineligible student, give the client basic information about BFET to help decide if they could become eligible for Basic Food. Refer to WAC 388-482-0005 for student eligibility. BFET recipients who are college students are typically eligible students (pending other Basic Food eligibility factors).

How do I find a list of current BFET providers?

See our public web site for a list of BFET Partner Colleges and the counties in which they offer services.


BFET Processes and Procedures

How does a Basic Food client receive BFET services?

DSHS staff may provide the client with basic information about BFET as well as contact information for Colleges and CBOs. You can find a list of current contractors on BFET Brochures in your local office (a statewide version is in development) or the public BFET website.

The contractor will complete an intake to determine appropriate BFET eligibility and services. The contractor will open components/activities for eligible clients in eJAS.

If the student is enrolling in college and appears eligible for BFET, but is not yet on Basic Food, then the college will fill out a Referral to DSHS for BFET form 10-501. This form tells DSHS that the client will be accepted into BFET upon approval of Basic Food benefits, so the client should be considered an eligible student. The college will still have to open the eJAS BFET components after Basic Food is approved.

How do I know that a client is a current BFET recipient?

BFET Staff use the following procedures to refer (or confirm) eligible clients for services:

  • Barcode - There should be a red BFET indicator in Barcode on the client ECR screen.
  • ACES - When the BFET is through a college, the student should be coded with PS (on ALAS in ACES and Student/Education in 3G) to show they are in an acceptable post-secondary education program. When BFET is through a CBO, there is no student coding since the client is not considered a student of higher education.
  • eJAS - The client will have components open in eJAS. In order to distinguish BFET from WorkFirst in eJAS, an FI component is opened. Then an actual activity component is opened, for example, JS (job search), VE (vocational education) or BR (job retention). You can find the scheduled hours per week for each component, as well as the dates of eligibility. This information can help in determining child care (CCSP) eligibility.
  • BFET Staff - You can ask BFET staff. Email policy at


eJAS Procedures

  1. Search to see if the client information is in the system.
    1. If the client information is not found in the system, add the client information by pressing the Client Add Screen.
    2.  The Case Number for client receiving only Basic Food shows a $ in the third character of the number. The $ distinguishes a Basic Food client from a TANF client. (I.e., 68$94568987)
    3. Food Stamp Type (F1 HELP) provides the codes for ABAWDs and non-ABAWDs.
    4. The BFET staff or contractor are also usually able to use the new BFET eligibility function ("eJAS automation") to open BFET eligible clients in eJAS.
  2. On the component screen enter:
    1. The "RF" (referral) (Note: workfare and work experience are not currently used);
    2. The date you see the client to determine eligibility (State Date);
    3. The DSHS worker ID of the person who will be responsible for the follow-up activities;
    4.  For all codes input the end date for when the component is scheduled to end. For example:
      1. For Job Search the end date is up to 84 days from the start of the component.
    5. Authorize support services as described in Basic Food Work Requirements Section D - BF E&T Payments for Related Expenses.
  3.  The eJAS Basic Food Status field is updated automatically based on coding in ACES. eJAS updates the Basic Food Status based on the following coding in ACES:
  • If the Food Stamp Participation status is AB (Able Bodied Adults without Dependents), and the Financial Responsibility is not RN and the client's age is 18-49, then the Basic Food Status will be ABD (ABAWD)
  • If the Food Stamp Participation Status is AB (Able Bodied Adults without Dependents), and Financial Responsibility is not RN, and age is not 18-49, then the Basic Food Status will be blank.
  • If the Food Stamp Participation status is MP (Mandatory Participant) , and there is a member on the STAT screen with HOH Relationship Code = CH (child) and age is 16-59, then the Basic Food Status will be NON (Exempt)
  • If the Food Stamp Participation status is MP(Mandatory Participant), and first two conditions are not met, and age is 50-59, the Basic Food Status will be NAB (Non ABAWD)
  • If the Food Stamp Participation status is MP (Mandatory Participant), and none of the above are met, the Basic Food Status will be blank.
  • If the Food Stamp Participation status is VP (Voluntary Participant), the Basic Food Status will be VOL (Volunteer).


ACES Procedures

Work Registration