Basic Food Work Registration Exemptions

Revised June 12, 2015 (WAC revisions also proposed to be released in late 2015)


WAC 388-444-0010 Who is exempt from work registration while receiving Basic Food?

  • Clarifying Information

Clarifying Information - WAC 388-444-0010

  1. We apply and code personal exemptions (such as child under six, etc.) in all areas of the state.  There is no geographic or regional exemption for Basic Food work registration.
  2. If someone participates in methadone treatment, we do not consider this to be regularly participating in drug treatment and rehabilitation. Methadone treatment is meant to help the patient carry on with everyday activities such as working without relying on illegal drugs and without withdrawal symptoms that could prevent them from working.
  3. We must register non-exempt persons who receive state-funded FAP benefits even though they cannot receive federally- funded E&T services.
  4. ABAWD is a small subset population of Work Registrants that have extra requirements; therefore, specific ABAWD exemptions (such as pregnancy or waived counties) under WAC 388-444-0035 that apply to those extra requirements do NOT apply to work registration in general.

Worker Responsibilities - WAC 388-444-0010

  1. Screen for work registration status:
    1. Determine the client's exempt or non-exempt status for work registration. See WAC 388-444-0010; and
    2. Code work exemption information on the WORK screen for every person age 16 and over.
    3. Register non-exempt clients for work at the initial application and at recertification as described in the ACES Procedures - Work Registration.
  2. Volunteering for BF E&T Services:
    All clients who receive federally-funded Basic Food (SNAP) benefits may volunteer for E&T services. As a volunteer they may:
    1. Receive supportive services (see Basic Food Work Requirements Section D - BF E&T Payments for Related Expenses); and
    2. Not be disqualified for not cooperating with the program.
  3. Verifying a Personal Exemption
    1. Accept a client's statement of employment status or job availability unless the information is questionable.
    2. To verify questionable information have the client provide:
      1. Evidence of the claimed exemption; or
      2. The name and contact information of an acceptable collateral source who can be contacted for further verification.
    3. The exemption for physical or mental inability to work (including when client claims to care for an incapacitated person) follows WorkFirst guidelines, which require a minimum of a 12 month duration. If a client claims to be physically or mentally unable to work and the client's statement is questionable, verify the claim by:
      1. Proof of permanent disability benefits issued by a public or private source; or
      2. A statement from a qualified professional or their staff; or
      3. A medical verification through DSHS form 10-353.
      4. Do not refer to an SSI facilitator for purposes of Basic Food disability verification.
    4. For self-employment the client must provide records to show the hours worked.
    5. An adult may claim a child under 6, as their exemption, if they have a majority (50% or more) parental responsibility to care for that child. In households with multiple adults, any adult that has a valid claim to majority parental responsibility for the child can claim the exemption. Allow the client to change their election of who is claiming the child under 6 as an exemption up to once per month if necessary; however, the change of election may not be utilized as a means to remove an individual's work registration food disqualification (by becoming exempt).